Saturday, November 4, 2017

For the Love of Jesus

"O my soul, love a God who is bound like a criminal for you;
a God scourged like a slave for you;
a God made a mocking for you;
a God, in short, dead upon a cross, as the vilest outcast for you!
Yes, my Savior, my God, I love You, I love You!
Bring continually to my remembrance, I beseech You,
All that You have suffered for me,
so that I may never more forget to love you.

O cords that bound my Jesus, bind me to Jesus;
thorns that crowned my Jesus, pierce me with the love of Jesus;
nails that transfixed my Jesus, nail me to the cross of Jesus,
that I may live and die united to Jesus.
O blood of Jesus, inebriate me with His holy love!
O death of Jesus, make me die to every earthly affection!
Pierced feet of my Lord, I embrace you."

From: The Practice of the Love of Jesus Christ by Saint Alphonsus Liguori, pg. 60-61

Pure, holy, true love is that like the Love of Jesus. He forgot Himself and only thought of His love for others. This love delivered Him to the cross to die a painful death. Where does our love take us? We must ask ourselves, do we love so much that we forget ourselves? Or, ironically, are we still so concerned over our own well being and comfort so that while thinking to love our life we actually deny ourselves of fully loving our Lord, who gives us life?

O Lord, may our love for you be pure, holy, and true. Help us to forget ourselves for love of you! Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment