Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Discovering God

Every day I am reminded how influential my role as a mom is. My daughter reminds me daily without even knowing it. I see her copying me in the tiniest and biggest of ways. I see it in the way she eats her breakfast just like me; in the way she cares for her animals and dolls by changing their diapers (imaginary diapers of course), putting them to bed, feeding them, and giving them a bath; in the way she treats her daddy and gives him hugs and kisses as he leaves for work each morning and looks to him to fix things; in the way she "helps" out around the house, trying to do as I do by sweeping and vacuuming the floor, wiping down the counters, and putting her dishes in the sink. This is all part of mothering a toddler. Her little mind is discovering what being a human is supposed to look like. She is discovering the world around her and how to interact with it. She is making connections about things that we adults hardly even notice anymore and drawing from them the beginning structures of her very own, unique belief system. She is interpreting every little thing we do, trying to make sense of it and find purpose in it.

When I take time and think about these things it can be very sobering. As a mom, what is my role in this process we call growing up? Am I supposed to step back and let her figure things out all on her own? Am I supposed to be there every second to explain every little thing that I do in a day? There are many theories and opinions out there on the topic, but what does God have to say about it? 

"Indeed, I have singled him out that he may direct his children and his household in the future to keep the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just, so that the Lord may put into effect for Abraham the promises he made about him."
~Genesis 18:19~

"Take to heart these words which I command you today. Keep repeating them to your children. Recite them when you are at home and when you are away, when you lie down and when you get up."
~Deuteronomy 6:6-8~

"Train the young in the way they should go; even when old, they will not swerve from it."
~Proverbs 22:6~

"The rod of correction gives wisdom, but uncontrolled youths disgrace their mothers."
~Proverbs 29:15~

"Children, obey your parents [in the Lord], for this is right. 'Honor your father and your mother.' This is the first commandment with a promise, 'that it may go well with you and that you may have a long life on earth.' Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up with the training and instruction of the Lord."
~Ephesians 6:1-4~

"Obey your leaders and defer to them, for they keep watch over you and will have to give an account, that they may fulfill their task with joy and not with sorrow, for that would be of no advantage to you."
~Hebrews 13:17~

In other words, yes we should most definitely be involved in instructing our children in the way of the Lord. We will even give an account for our task in providing instruction and example to our children because this role and gift that God has given us is so important (Heb 13:17)! Our role and influence is a big deal! 

As I've been contemplating all of this, it's made me question: What is my daughter discovering when she watches me and imitates me? My prayer and hope is that she is discovering God in me. I hope that my obedience to Him leads her to obedience to Him. My whole life, everything I do, should be for Jesus (Colossians 3:23). I pray that as she observes me and mimics my life, what starts as merely copying me will develop into a mature relationship with the Lord. 

We worry and think about so many things for our children. What will they be like? Will they be well-behaved and good-natured? Will they be smart, handsome, beautiful, talented, social, friendly, etc? What schools will they go to? What will they study? What will their jobs be? Will they be healthy? Will they have a lot of friends? What will people think of them? This isn't all bad, we are their parents and of course we should be concerned about some of these things, but as Christians, our biggest concern should be for their soul. Will they be in Heaven someday? We go to great lengths to do our part to make sure our children have the best start in life and will be successful in whatever it is they do...but what lengths will we go to so that they will know God and follow His commands? 

As mothers, we have a great opportunity to help our children discover God. He is so worth discovering after all. He is the reason for every good and perfect thing in and under Heaven. He is our salvation and our hope. I pray my daughter discovers Him personally from an early age and follows in His ways all the days of her life. That is why I make sacrifices to put her as a priority in my life and to spend time with her and explain things to her. That is why I pray with her and bring her to church with me. That is why we read the Bible at home and try our best to live by example. I don't know how much time I will have with her. It's too essential a task to put it off for later. She's discovering things about life now, not later. Do I want her to discover what our world and society deem important, or do I want her to discover Jesus and what He deems important? 

Lord, I pray she discovers you. Let her learn of your Truth and your ways, not those of the world. As she grows and matures, let it be according to your word and your will. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment